Friday, January 7, 2011

As good as it gets

As good as facebook is (it is actually a wonderful innovation), it takes a lot of discipline (speaking from experience) on a daily basis to quickly look through my profile, read some eye catching comments, respond to some, put new photos that I itch for my friends to see, send a message and then get back to the day’s activities, particularly in the mornings. I therefore decided that I will limit myself to changing my status message, check inbox, check my profile for comments, accept or decline friend request for the early hours as much as I resist the urge to keep on checking every other interesting notes, items for sale, comments, photos. I will then come back after I might have done major tasks and check out the intersting stuffs on fb in my free time. I mean you can spend a whole day doing this without knowing that the clock has ticked from 8:00 – 12:00 and before you know it, it’s time to go home. But if we clearly have our tasks arranged/scheduled and develop good time management skills, we won’t fall prey to this temptation. One fact I always try to remind myself is that facebook does not pay me (unlike some people who sell wares online, they can actually be on fb 24 hrs becos that's his what puts food on their table), rather my employer does. It’s a privilege that we enjoy (some companies do not allow face booking at all). Employers must be having a hard time with this issue. I hear some companies are putting restrictions. What I think we all need is to learn to do primary duties FIRST (priority) and secondary issues (which social networking falls into) second. If not we might abuse the opportunities to keep tab on our friends, (ha, yes and enemies) and loved ones.


A people that value its privileges above its principles soon loses both
                                                                                  Dwight David Eisenhower (34th President of the US)

No comments:

Post a Comment